Franklin Animal Clinic Inc.1623 Pittsburgh RoadFranklin, PA 16323
Does Exercise Help Arthritis???
Yes, exercise can definitely help arthritis!! But the question is what type and how often??? Here are some simple guidelines to help you out:
- The most important rule is to only do what your pet is able.
- When able, chose areas with softer ground and good traction. Blacktop may be too hard and too hot for older feet and sandy soil makes it harder to walk.
- A slow steady pace is just right for older dogs. As your pet becomes stronger, you can walk a little faster, but remember exercise in older dogs is about keeping joints limber and muscles loose. We're not doing "body building", we're doing "body maintenance".
- Start out with shorter walks and build from there. A 1/4 mile walk every day is better than a 2 mile hike once a week.
- Games like "fetch" and "catch" are still good for your older dog, but remember not to over do it....don't throw the ball as far and don't play as long.